Villa Crespo was founded on February 14, 1935 and is located behind the Maldonado Stream, but the actual limits of the area were not set until 1972. The areas bears the last name of the Municipal intendant Dr. Antonio F. Crespo who supported the installation of the "Fabrica Nacional de Calzando" (National Footwear Factory). It was named by the the lands auctioneers, with encouragement from the land's owners, the Lebrero family, who started calling the area "la Villa de Crespo" (Crespo's Area) because the intendant had planned the location of the future square, the train station, the police station, the local school, and other buildings that make up a small neighborhood. These lands were, in fact, the first Villa in the City of Buenos Aires was Villa Crespo.
The first Conventillo was built by the workers of the "Fábrica Nacional del Calzado" (National Footwear Factory) with bricks given to them by the factory. It was built with rooms and kitchens made out of wood, for workers to live there. It slowly grew till it became the first noticeable group of families living together and the biggest symbol of the neighborhood. It was the source of inspiration for some of the greatest pieces of theatre that can be remembered. It was called "Cenventillo Nacional" (National) or "Conventillo de la Paloma" (Of the Pigeon), it had some 112 inhabitants.
The first immigrants were Italian, followed in a lesser number by the Spanish, mostly Basoues. Almost all of them worked in the brick ovens and cafes around the place. Arabs, Jews, Greeks, and lately Japanese and Koreans shared (and still do), the place in peace in spite of the wars and hatred that takes place in their lands of origin. The Jews form a large community, but among them they are divided according to their respective precedence.
One part of Villa Crespo is called Villa Kreplaj, this name was given by those who came here escaping WWI from Russia, Ukraine and Poland.
The increase in population gave origin to a commercial growth that took Villa Crespo to a level of activity similar to that of downtown central area of Buenos Aires.
Villa Crespo is located close to the "Mercado de Abasto" (Abasto Market (today Shopping)) and also to Chacarita, because of that its possibilities of a fast development where better than those of other areas in Buenos Aires. Villa Crespo reached its peak during the 1940´s, but in the early 1970´s it suffered lows in commercial, demographical, and social aspects, but has recently started to recover some of its former activity.
The 3rd of June of each year its the day of Villa Crespo.
- Rentals and Sales of Houses, Apartments, Offices, Town House, and other Properties in Villa Crespo.
- Real Estate Villa Crespo.
- Sales, rentals, short term, commercial, student accommodation, holiday lets and apartment share.
- Owner reltals, Owner Sale,
- Villa Crespo limits with the following areas of Buenos Aires: Almagro, Caballito, Villa General Mitre, Paternal, Chacarita and Palermo Viejo.